[Digikam-devel] Collaboration with Kdenlive video editor: need some advice

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:29:18 BST 2009

Le 8 juillet 2009 10:09, Jean-Michel Pouré<jm at poure.com> a écrit :
> Dear friends,
>
> I am new to digikam and I am very impressed by the quality of your
> software. It seems very actively developed. I like the quality and
> simplicity and integration of tools. Digikam is probably one of the best
> Kde tools. Not to say the best!

Thanks (:=)))

> I am part of Kdenlive project. Let me explain:
>
> We achieved basic editing and format support after years of efforts.
> Kdenlive is based on MLT video engine, which processes videos. You can
> visit our web site: http://www.kdenlive.org

I know. Before to work on digiKam project, i have contributed a little
bit to kdenlive...

> Now we are looking for image correction tools to compete with
> professional grade tools. We need to implement solutions at MLT level,
> which can easily use plugins. Then we need to implement the GUI at
> Kdenlive level. Remember, Kdenlive is mainly an MLT GUI.
>
> In a first approach, I wrote this:
> http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/studying-digikam-color-and-light-tools
>
> Do you think it would be possible to use digikam via a shared library?

image processing from digiKam core is hosted in libdigikamcore.la, but
we don't take a care about version and binary compatibity, because
nobody excepted us use this code.

In theory, you can link against without any problem.

> If not, what underlying image processing library would you recommend? I
> though of GEGL. Do you think it is a good choice?

For the moment, i think no, because GEGL is in hard developement
stage. Gimp try to support it. It will be long and a lots of bugs will
be found.

Another alternative is to see in Krita project. They have take a look
indeep about image processing library available.

Take a care about ImageMagick : C++ lib and exceptions are
incompatible with Qt (tested in the past with Qt3). I don't check
since a long time with Qt4.

> Also, is it possible to reuse digikam widget?

Same there. libdigikamcore.la.

> I know this may be a little far-fetched, but would it be possible to
> establish a collaboration with Digikam i.e. work on common widgets that
> rely on standard libraries.

Why not.

But this will require a shared lib somewhere in kdegraphics. Also,
migrating kdenlive code to kde-extragear part will reduce puzzle to
developpers/users/packagers.

Best

Gilles Caulier

> Kind regards,