[Digikam-devel] Collaboration with Kdenlive video editor: need some advice

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Jul 8 09:09:04 BST 2009

Dear friends,

I am new to digikam and I am very impressed by the quality of your
software. It seems very actively developed. I like the quality and
simplicity and integration of tools. Digikam is probably one of the best
Kde tools. Not to say the best!

I am part of Kdenlive project. Let me explain:

We achieved basic editing and format support after years of efforts.
Kdenlive is based on MLT video engine, which processes videos. You can
visit our web site: http://www.kdenlive.org

Now we are looking for image correction tools to compete with
professional grade tools. We need to implement solutions at MLT level,
which can easily use plugins. Then we need to implement the GUI at
Kdenlive level. Remember, Kdenlive is mainly an MLT GUI.

In a first approach, I wrote this:
http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/studying-digikam-color-and-light-tools

Do you think it would be possible to use digikam via a shared library?
If not, what underlying image processing library would you recommend? I
though of GEGL. Do you think it is a good choice?

Also, is it possible to reuse digikam widget?

I know this may be a little far-fetched, but would it be possible to
establish a collaboration with Digikam i.e. work on common widgets that
rely on standard libraries.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré
http://www.kdenlive.org