[Digikam-devel] String freeze tomorrow

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:11:54 GMT 2009

2009/1/20 Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>

>  > > Hi all,
>

> > > there will be a string freeze tomorrow for the digiKam project.
>
> > > Does this mean we create a new branch for that?
>
> > > Or am I forced to skip any code that involves string changes for nearly
> 2
>
> > > months now?
>
> > > Isn't that a bit long and contra-productive?
>

> > Andi,
>

> > I'm also agree to create a new development branch for next major release
>
> > 0.11
>

> > It will include :
>

> > - Batch Queue Manager code
>
> > - icon view pure Qt4 port
>
> > - thumbbar pure Qt4 port
>
> > - previewwidget pure Qt4 port
>

> > Marcel, Your viewpoint ?
>
> Yes I agree to branch.
>
> With 0.9.x we added a lot of features while incrementing the third number.
>
> This was mostly due to KDE4 development taking a long time.
>
> It's much more common and sane to add major features on major releases,
> incrementing second number
>
> There are some questions:
>
> What is the time range for 0.11?

not too long (few month)

> It's not next month, but it should not in the least take as long as 0.10.

agree

> Six to twelve months?

six max.

>  What will be done for the 0.10 branch - bugfixes there and forward port,
> bugfixes in feature branch and backport, features backport?

0.10.x only bugfix. no new features (all delegate to 0.11). BAckport of
fixes must be done between branches.

>  Branch 0.10 and use trunk for feature development?

Branching 0.11 would later mean to branch 0.10 and move or merge 0.11 to
> trunk

good question. i think to branch trunk to 0.11 branch until 0.10.0 is
released, because, code will become unstable and people know that trunk is
0.10.0 to test. After 0.10.0 release, 0.11 can become trunk and 0.10.x is
branched.