[Digikam-devel] [Kde-imaging] digiKam 0.10.0-rc1 and kipi-plugins 0.2.0-rc1 tarballs tomorow morning...

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 21:03:41 GMT 2009

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I plan to build tarballs tomorow morning. It's fine for all ?
>
> This is not completely related to thie release, but there is real concern
> with Adobe SDK license that is included as part of DNG Converter in
> KIPI-Plugins: https://launchpad.net/bugs/319230
>
> How should this be handled properly?
> I am currently considering of changing kipi-plugins to not include DNG
> Converter and ship DNG Converter as separate source package as into Ubuntu
> multiverse (restricted licenses).

One problem seems to be including a file with the SDK license agreement. That
should be easy to fix.

The SDK is as it is; XMP is released under a proper free software license, DNG
is not.
When I read the agreement it allows me to "prepare derivative works" from it
and "distribute and sublicense it for any purpose". The only restriction seems
to be to "not remove any copyright or other notice ".
This seems all right to me, no restrictions for us developers.

I dont know what lawyers say to this. I hope my practical interpretation from
above (I can use it and distribute it with GPL software) is correct.

In which package repository this belongs is distribution specific, that's too
complicated for me.

Marcel