[Digikam-devel] Providing AdobeRGB and other default profiles

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Aug 22 18:53:43 BST 2009

> > we are currently using profiles that ship with libkdcraw as builtin
> > profiles. There was a serious problem because the sRGB included was not
> > the real sRGB (whitepoint D50). This is fixes now. The current sRGB is
> > identical to the one distributed by Adobe (if someone copied it from
> > there - I dont want to know).
>
> So if we don't choose a profile, the default profile is identical to
> Adobe sRGB?

Yes, the sRGB we ship and use is bit by bit identical to the one distributed
by  Adobe. (manufacturer is IEC and copyright is Hewlett Packard)

> > Now there is the same problem with the Adobe profile in libkdcraw: It is
> > not Adobe RGB (1998). In fact, there is only one profile that may be
> > named as such, which is distributed by Adobe and cannot be bundled by us.
> > I suggest to
> > 1) Bundle the "compatible with Adobe RGB (1998)" profile that comes with
> > Oyranos under a liberal license with libkdcraw and digikam
> > 2) If we find the original Adobe profile installed on the system, use
> > this.
>
> You've replaced the present profile called Adobe sRGB with the sRGB
> profile from Oyranos. Is this Oyranos profile different from the default
> profile above?

This is not about sRGB, this is about AdobeRGB (1998). Different gamut. Do not
confuse "sRGB distributed by Adobe" with "AdobeRGB".
The Oyranos AdobeRGB profile file is not bit-by-bit identical to the file
distributed by Adobe, but is constructed using exactly the values from the
specification. According to Adobe's trademark policy, it must not be called
"AdobeRGB (1998)" but only "compatible to..."

> BTW, thanks for all this work sorting out the color management issues.
> And if I could put in a plug for my favorite bug: 165650. It makes
> printing with outside services a real pain.

I have marked this as closed already. Please test color management when beta4
is released.