[Digikam-devel] Thinking about First Run Assistant

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 19:11:59 BST 2009

2009/4/27 Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>:
> On Monday 27 April 2009 09:11:55 Gilles Caulier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's holidays time for me, for one week.
>>
>> I will study to implement a new Assistant to setup digiKam at the
>> first time. The current dialog which appears in this case is just to
>> setup Collection.
>>
>> It's not enough. We must ask to users if he is a pro-photographers or
>> just beginner and setup the rest of digiKam accordingly. Example, a
>> pro would to use RawImport tool and save digiKam metadata into images.
>
> Self-description can be misleading very often. What is amateurish and what is
> pro? Also there is big gray area between. First Run Assistant is great idea
> but should not be such simplified. My suggestion:
>
> 1. First screen used to set up albums (Marcel's suggestion about multiple
> locations is good one); database should be stored in .kde4 by default and its
> location not changed here but in normal setup dialog.
> 2. On this first screen note: if you want to fine tune digikam setup please
> Click here. If not all settings are set for beginner user. To fine tune later
> use Settings->digiKam setup
> 3. On later screens could be walkthrough of more advanced options of digiKam
> or just full setup dialog.

Yes, it's exactly that i will do. I will use KAssistantDialog as used
in PrintWizzard kipi-plugins...

Each wizzard pages wil be separated in dedicated widget. It's will
easy to add more if necessary, with few code, and re-use Setup dialog
page if necessary to prevent duplicates code.

As i said previously, i need decorative and attractive image to
illustrate wizzard and to help end users...