[Digikam-devel] Thinking about First Run Assistant

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Mon Apr 27 18:49:21 BST 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 19:23:03 Andi Clemens wrote:
> On Monday 27 April 2009 19:13:13 Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > On Monday 27 April 2009 09:11:55 Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > It's holidays time for me, for one week.
> > >
> > > I will study to implement a new Assistant to setup digiKam at the
> > > first time. The current dialog which appears in this case is just to
> > > setup Collection.
> > >
> > > It's not enough. We must ask to users if he is a pro-photographers or
> > > just beginner and setup the rest of digiKam accordingly. Example, a
> > > pro would to use RawImport tool and save digiKam metadata into images.
> >
> > Self-description can be misleading very often. What is amateurish and
> > what is pro? Also there is big gray area between. First Run Assistant is
> > great idea but should not be such simplified. My suggestion:
>
> I agree with most of Mik's points.
>
> > 1. First screen used to set up albums (Marcel's suggestion about multiple
> > locations is good one); database should be stored in .kde4 by default and
> > its location not changed here but in normal setup dialog.
>
> I can only speak for myself, but I like having the database in the same
> location as my images.  Because I constantly backup the images, and so the
> db would be saved, too.
> If it is saved in .kde4 folder, this would not be the case.
> But for an average user this might be the better solution.

Maybe put this option in preselection of options to show after click?

My take on which options should be put there:

- location of database
- thumbnail click action (embedded preview or edit)
- instead of embedded preview show full size image (note: this option should
set appropriate options for Album GUI, Light Table, etc.)
- show tooltips for items, show tooltips for albums (note: only if they should
be shown at all, contents of tooltips configurable in full config dialog)
- embed metadata in images or only store in database
- full dialog to setup identity
- use RAW import tool to handle images in Image Editor

m.