[Digikam-devel] Thinking about First Run Assistant

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 10:49:28 BST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> It's holidays time for me, for one week.
>
> I will study to implement a new Assistant to setup digiKam at the
> first time. The current dialog which appears in this case is just to
> setup Collection.

I dont like the current FirstRun dialog for setting up the collection as well.
We currently say "please pick any directory, you can use more, but for that
please go to Setup afterwards". We should offer "please pick all directories
where you keep your pictures".
For determining the database location, we should offer to keep it 1) in one of
the directories chosen for the collection, or 2) in the .kde4 directory, or 3)
in any other chosen location.

> It's not enough. We must ask to users if he is a pro-photographers or
> just beginner and setup the rest of digiKam accordingly. Example, a
> pro would to use RawImport tool and save digiKam metadata into images.
>
> There are both place where setup is called at first run :
>
> http://lxr.kde.org/source/extragear/graphics/digikam/digikam/albummanager.c
>pp#674

This albummanager location is not for first run - on first run, the
suggestedAlbumRoot parameter is taken from FirstRun dialog and not empty. It's
used when the database location is changed at any time, and when an empty
database is created it need to be filled with at least one album root.

> http://lxr.kde.org/source/extragear/graphics/digikam/digikam/main.cpp#130

That's the place where the FirstRun dialog is started