[Digikam-devel] Problems from a Disitrbution End - Build issues - kipi-plugins-0.2.0-beta3.tar.bz2

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:57:45 GMT 2008

2008/10/30 Mark Purcell <msp at debian.org>

> Hi,
>
> I have an issue building kipi-plugins with KDE 4.1.2 in Debian.
>
> I don't expect the libdraw will be functional as that needs svn TRUNK,
> which
> the build detects, however the build then goes on to try and build anyway
> and
> blows up because the API has changed ;-(
>
> Just to echo Angelo's comments, please make the packages, even in
> development
> releases buildable against the published libs, even if additional
> functionality is dropped. In Debian and I presume other distros we don't
> wish
> to backport features from svn TRUNK (to echo Aaron Seigo's blog from a few
> days ago.)
>
> In Debian we have a sandbox called experimental where we are assembling
> KDE4,
> that has the published versions of libs in KDE 4.1.2. I too am trying to
> get
> digikam and friends into the Debian KDE4 sandbox, however the last version
> of
> digikam that is buildable against published libs is 0.10.0-beta2.  kipi-
> plugins for KDE4 has never be buildable against published libs.
>
> I understand that digikam and friends for KDE4 is under heavy development
> and
> isn't ready for prime time, so it is actually a prime candidate for the
> Debian
> experimental sandbox, with the rest of KDE4.  But we don't want to backport
> various things from TRUNK.

I'm not agree. libkdcraw from trunk is better, faster and fixed against
version published in KDE 4.1 branch. This is _why_ digiKam use it. Because i
prefer a more stable code, digiKam and kipi-plugins are dumped depency to
trunk version of shared libraries (libkdcraw and libkexiv2).

As we cannot touch KDE 4.1 branch fixes are not backported to preserve BC.
It' completly stupid from my developper viewpoint...

I don't like static development and wait again and again KDE core release.
Time is precious...

Unforget that digiKam 0.10.0 and kipi-plugins 0.2.0 still under development
and not yet stable. If you want a stable version suitable in production, use
KDE3 branch which can be used with KDE4 without problem....