[Digikam-devel] Great work!

Robin Pedersen robin.pedersen at runbox.com
Fri May 9 21:23:32 BST 2008

I just tried digiKam for the first time (on KDE 3). I've been using KDE
for many years, but never done any photo management with it. I'm almost
ashamed of myself, but I have always assumed that the best photo programs
where on windows. It was purely by chance when I discovered today that
this program was installed on my kubuntu laptop.

I'm a developer, and I've recently become involved in some KDE 4
development.

A few weeks ago, I had a photo-management task that I wanted to do on my
home computer with windows, which wasn't possible with the software I had
installed. As a result of this, I ended up using a whole day searching
for, and installing every piece of windows photo software I could get my
hands on, including freeware and commercial packages like ACDSee, Adobe,
Google.

I didn't like any if these programs, and I could just barely find a way to
do the thing I wanted to do, using a very complicated and time-consuming
approach with an ugly looking application that I can't remember the name
of.

Today I found that digiKam, which was installed on my laptop all along,
works perfect. It has all the features I wanted from all the programs I
found on windows and more. It's fast, light and simple to use. It's free
software, and it has the best, fastest and easiest way to do the task I
wanted to do.

I just had to thank you all for this great piece of software. From now on
all my photo management will be done in KDE!

BTW: The task was to fix the date and time of a collection of images using
a batch function to add a relative offset.

--
Robin Pedersen