[Digikam-devel] Important changes from svn trunk : extragear/libs removed...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 12:06:22 BST 2008

2008/6/4 Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:

>> > What are the rules for binary compatibility for these libraries now?
>>
>> These libraries are not yet released. so it's always time to fix API
>> until KDE4.1. After, the BC for libkexiv2/libkipi/libkdcraw need to be
>> preserved.
>>
>> I think it's not a problem for libkipi and libkdcraw. perhaps
>> libkexiv2 need to be fixed to extract GPS info from XMP.
>
> Adding non-virtual methods is now problem usually. As to virtual methods, I
> see no problem for libkexiv2 with adding or removing virtual methods (and
> thus breaking BC)
>

>> For libkdcraw, we need to use libraw instead a dcraw.c. I think we can
>> do it without to break BC.
>
> There are a few protected virtual methods for the raw decoding process that
> seem quite specific to using dcraw in a separate process. When switching to
> libraw we may well have other needs. I have no overview on this currently.
> Even the name of the library suggests it is using dcraw ;-)

Right BC will be broken if we remove these virtual methods.

So the better way is to have a new "libkraw" libary, using "libraw"
and providing the same API than current "libkdcraw".

This is possible because "libraw" API respect 90% of dcraw options
(excepted color management options witch need to be emulated with
"lcms" API into libkraw - like dcraw do in fact)

If we provide same API between libkraw and libkdcraw, porting and
application will be very easy and fast.