[Digikam-devel] Important changes from svn trunk : extragear/libs removed...

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 17:53:07 BST 2008

> > What are the rules for binary compatibility for these libraries now?
>
> These libraries are not yet released. so it's always time to fix API
> until KDE4.1. After, the BC for libkexiv2/libkipi/libkdcraw need to be
> preserved.
>
> I think it's not a problem for libkipi and libkdcraw. perhaps
> libkexiv2 need to be fixed to extract GPS info from XMP.

Adding non-virtual methods is now problem usually. As to virtual methods, I
see no problem for libkexiv2 with adding or removing virtual methods (and
thus breaking BC)

> For libkdcraw, we need to use libraw instead a dcraw.c. I think we can
> do it without to break BC.

There are a few protected virtual methods for the raw decoding process that
seem quite specific to using dcraw in a separate process. When switching to
libraw we may well have other needs. I have no overview on this currently.
Even the name of the library suggests it is using dcraw ;-)