[Digikam-devel] visual indication of active filters?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:02:17 GMT 2008

2008/1/31, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de>:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> > > [...]
> view,

> > > I would think that no color makes it even clearer that no
> > > filter is active. I.e. we get a stronger contrast between
> > > greyed out  and  orange.
> > >
> > > Best, Arnd
> > >

> > Hum, try commit  #769006. Now LED colors are :
> >
> > - light green when filter settings are inactive (default values ==> icon
> > view contents not filtered)
> > - light orange when something is active in filter settings.
> >
> > Nota : Right click over the LED reset filter settings to default (become
> > inactive)
> >
> > Let's me hear if all is better for you. If yes, i will backport code to
> KDE4
> > as well...
>
> Hm, visually the green is much stronger than the light-orange to me,
> so this even more easy to miss. Why not red ;-)?
>
> > "If this light is orange, something is active in filter settings. "
>     --> "... in the filter settings."
>   or maybe:
>     ""If this light is orange, filtering is active." ?

yes, this is what i mean...

> "If this light is green, nothing is filtered. "
> > "Clic over with right mouse button to reset all filters."
>
> - Clic -> Click
> - Left mouse does also work (why right mouse??)

yes, i will do it

  --> "Click to reset all filters." ?

exactly...

What about tag-filters ;-) ?

Nothing here. LED is about  filters from status bar not sidebar.

As we have talk in the pass, to be homogeneous, we must think to move all
icon view filters in a common sidebar tab named "Filters" instead "Tags
Filters"... but by this way, icon view filter from status bar will only
visible if sidebar tab is open...

Using a tool bar here do not solve the problem. The idea is to group all
filters together : tags, text, mime type, and rating. The only way to host
all tags filter is a sidebar tab, not a toolbar...

Also, remember than status bar is full now. In the future, if we need to add
new filter based on date, ratio, size, etc... we will need to find another
way than status bar or tool-bar to host it. This is why sidebar tab is the
most fine.

Discussion is open. It's an usability + gui design issue. It's important for
the future to be clean about this subject.

Gilles

Best, Arnd