[Digikam-devel] UTF-8 compatibility of digiKam's metadata

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:34:27 GMT 2008

2008/1/21, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhardkgmx at gmail.com>:

> Is anybody in this room who feels confident to make a statement on
> digiKam's
> compatibility with UTF-8 encoding. I know there have been a lot of mail
> exchanges, most of them I read. But in the end I was a bit lost.
>
> This concerns captions (comments)

For JPEG, Caption is stored in JFIF Comments section, as a byte array
(warning: this is not EXIF/IPTC/XMP). There is no standard to store encoding
in this area but digiKam use UTF-8 to format byte array contents.

For Exif, we have :

Exif.Photo.UserComment ==> stored as Byte array with charset text header ==>
ASCII if this is enough, or Unicode (USC2 not UTF8) if necessary ==> this
deapnd if Qt can convert string to write as ASCII. If no, Unicode is used (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16/UCS-2).

For IPTC ==> ASCII. Patch to support UTF-8 not yet complete on my computer.
In fact this one will be obsolete with XMP...

For XMP ==> always UTF8 !!!

and tags

With IPTC ==> ASCII
With XMP ==> UTF-8

Note : XMP support is full implemented in digiKam for KDE4

, all in IPTC and XMP.
> I can't see that EXIF is concerned, right?

look my previous comment about...