[Digikam-devel] download pictures from a cf-card silently overwrites pictures

Klaus Weidenbach Klaus.Weidenbach at gmx.net
Sat Feb 9 11:11:38 GMT 2008

Hello,

Today I discovered a strange bug when downloading pictures within digiKam from
a CF-card trough a USB card reader. The download media is a removable media
in media:/sdb1. On this card there are 31 pictures. I download all and three
pictures fail, so that there is a red cross and these three pictures also
don't show up in digiKam. The folder in digiKam just shows 28 pictures. So I
selected the three pictures with a red cross and downloaded them again. I got
no warning or anything. One image that failed downloading is img_2933.jpg.
When I go back to digiKam I got confused seeing img_2932 and img_2933 being
the same pictures! On the card they are two completely different pictures. I
checked digiKam's folder in konqueror and it is true both pictures are the
same, so no caching problems, but they also have slightly different filesize.
Well, it's getting even more strange. Image img_2932.jpg overwrote the image
before, with the name img_2896.jpg and the real img_2896.jpg is gone! There
was no warning about overwriting an image! If I download img_2896 and
img_2932 once more from the card everything is allright, but there i am asked
to overwrite the files.

Okay, I just made some more tests, that maybe clarify the real problem for the
strange behavior explained above:
New test with same 31 pictures downloading from the card into a new folder.
3 pictures fail again, but different ones from the first time. The download
tool shows the first red cross on the third picture img_2880.jpg. The first
two pictures are called img_2862.jpg and img_2863.jpg. When I check in
digiKam and in konqueror I see that the picture img_2880.jpg from the flash
card is renamed to img_2863.jpg on the harddisk. The original img_2863.jpg
from the card is not on the harddisk. There exists no file with the name
img_2880.jpg on the harddisk, so therefore the download tool shows the red
cross I guess. That's okay, but picture img_2880 IS existing as img_2863 and
the real img_2863 is not there on the harddisk. So I can also download
img_2880 again without a warning, because it does not exist with the name
img_2880, but with the name img_2863. This explains why I had no overwrite
warning on my first test.

If I drag&drop the pictures from konqueror from the card to digiKam there seem
to be no problem with failed transfers. Just when I use the download tool in
digiKam some pictures always fail. I had these failed transfers often since
using newer digiKam versions, but never realized the problem that the
pictures before the cross got lost and not the pictures with the red cross.

I am using Slackware current, KDE 3.5.8, SVN snapshot of digiKam from 2 weeks
ago and just recompiling current snapshot to verify if it still exists there.

Hope you can understand my explanations.

Regards,
Klaus