[Digikam-devel] Search UI

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Feb 7 21:33:21 GMT 2008

Hi all,

in 0.10, we have now a working search backend, now it's time to look at the
frontend.
Currently we have the Advanced Search Dialog. This allows to construct a list
of search criteria, linked with AND or Or and possibly grouped (one level
deep as far as I see). There are 11 different search fields (album name,
rating, tag etc.)
For 0.10, the database stores much more information. We can easily come to
more than 40 possible search fields. Some of these fields can be useful to
the user - if he knows about their existence.

So with the current interface we have these advantages:
- flexibility creating the search rules
- good overview

and these problems:
- discoverability: imagine a combo box with 45 entries.
- usability: at first use, interface may need learning

My thoughts currently go into these directions:
- present all useful search options at one glance, in the style of web search
engines' advanced search page
For standard users, this gives a well-known kind of interface, shows the
options that we offer.
- for advanced users, there must be all possibilities of constructing complex
queries: allow to combine several such groups of search options (even
building subgroups?)

There are no screenshots yet (and not much code).
I would like to know how much you like the