[Digikam-devel] Comments on Digikam 0.10

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Tue Aug 5 10:18:21 BST 2008

> > 2. The motto in the splash screen (something like "Manage your photos
> > like a professional with the power of open source") really doesn't do it.
> > At the least remove the "like a professional", why not bring back the old
> > one?

To be honest, that's what I thought the whole time, too. The slogan is alright
but this like a professional" sounds a little but snobby.
I'm just waiting for the moment digiKam will run under Windows and achieve
some popularity. Maybe more "professionals" will have a look at it than...
and I know from The GIMP what stupid flame wars will be created!! The
difference is Gimp doesn't say it is professional etc... but everytime it is
compared to Photoshop and gets put down.
If digiKam claims to be professional than I'm pretty sure all those
lightroom / Photoshop "Power Users" (yes I'm talking about all those kids
stealing this piece of software and claiming to be THE PS guru), this slogan
might only put fire into this whole flame war that will come.
For me digiKam IS professional (at least for my needs, I don't earn money with
photography) and so I like to help developing the software because I use it
everyday. But others might think "look those linux guys, what the fuck are
they talking about...".

Second point: I also think the slogan is too long. Without "like a
professional" it is more catchy...

Andi