[Digikam-devel] IPTC => XMP

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Sun Oct 14 21:38:41 BST 2007

Dnia Sunday 14 of October 2007, Gilles Caulier napisaƂ:
> Andreas, Marcel,
>
> I have finalized the new IPTC/IMM metadata editor from kipi-plugin. 90%
> of all IPTC/IIM tags are now supported.
>
> It's time to study the new XMP metadata editor. I will base the future
> code from IPTC/IIM editor to support all IPTC4XMP tags.
>
> I have writen an openoffice document where the IPTC/IIM editor dialog
> pages are described with all IPTC/IIM tags supported and the XMP tags
> associed. I have based the research using all papers provided by
> www.iptc.org and Adobe Xmp paper.
>
> A lots of IPTC tags are identified as XMP or not (obsolete). Few one are
> in unknow... because i have a doubt or i have not found the
> corresponding entry in XMP papers.
>
> My openoffice document is here :
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/libs/kipi-plugins/metadataedit/IPT
>CLIST.ODS?view=log
>
> Please take a look and give me your viewpoint if all IPTC/IIM => XMP map
> are rights.

I am using Iptc4xmpCore 1.0 Spec as reference.

Tab Origin:

There is some mess with location. Iptc.Application2.CountryCode (and/or
LocationCode) should translate into Xmp.Iptc4xmpCore.CountryCode. In
Xmp.photoshop.Country should be full name of country not 3 letter code.

Tab Credits:

Iptc.Application2.Contact isn't totally obsolete:
Xmp.Iptc4xmpCore.CreatorContactInfo

Problem this should be split into total implementation following vCard
structure.

Tab Subjects:

Iptc.Application2.Subject -> Xmp.Iptc4xmpCore.SubjectCode

Tab Status:

Typo in second field: "EditSatus"

According to spec Job identifier field should be translated as
Xmp.photoshop.TransmissionReference but I see conflict here

Also not sure if Title really belongs here. Position suggests it is
title of comment, but this is title of object - not always the same.
I would swap headline and title or even moved title over headline in
Content tab.

Tab Properties:

If you really want some super control over it ReleaseDate and
ExpirationDate should be added to Informations (Status tab) or into
Xmp.xmpRights.UsageRights with automatic comment.

Tab Envelope:

The best place to put it into XMP is some automatic integration into
Instructions.

Some comments. I hope they are not too random :/

m.