[Digikam-devel] Working environment

Paweł Marciniak pave at o2.pl
Sat Nov 24 10:09:03 GMT 2007

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> I would like to setup kdevelop and environment variables so that I can
>> run/debug digiKam or kipi-plugins directly from kdevelop, without the
>> need to run make install.
>

> You can debug digiKam directly in Kdevelop just after recompiling. But for
> plugins, if you recompile one tool, you need to re-install it. No other
> way.
>
> I use Kdevelop everytime to hack and code... Just use my Kdevelop project
> on digikam/project folder... That all..

I've been using digikam_svn.kdevelop project from digikam folder, and it's
working so I don't think there's a need to change to the digikam/project/
one, right?

There's one issue I want to ask about. I keep the svn versions in my
homedir, separate to globally installed stable versions. To properly
compile digiKam and libs against the svn-installed exiv2, I have to
temporarily uninstall stable exiv2 version from my system (the old known
recurring configure/make problem...). But when I try to run the svn version
of digiKam (even after make install), the kio_* stuff it depends upon,
needs exiv2 globally installed in order to work. My concern is that perhaps
I misconfigured something, so that the dev version still runs the stable
versions of its libraries, maybe even libdigikam is used from the stable
version and then debugging would be kinda hard then ;)

My env (kept that way all the time from the time of checkout):
KDEDIR="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed"
KDEDIRS="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed"
LDPATH="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed/lib:"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed/lib:"
PATH="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:\
/opt/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/opt/qt/bin"
PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/pave/digikam_svn/installed/lib/pkgconfig"
UNSERMAKE="no"

> If you is interressed to more contribute to digiKam, i recommend you to
> join us on #digikam IRC channel (freenode.net server). We are generally
> online on the evening (Europe time).
>
> Also, like Arnd do, you can ask an account to KDE svn to commits your
> patch after validation by me or Marcel. I work like this Arnd, who learn
> (very fast) Qt/KDE development.

I'm also new to Qt/KDE development - but I figured out that reading digiKam
code (by hunting bugs) is a nice way to learn it :) I already requested the
svn access. However, I don't think I will be able to join you on IRC very
often - time difference.

Regards,
Pawel