[Digikam-devel] merging DigikamImagePlugins to digiKam... Menus cleanup

Luka Renko lure at kubuntu.org
Wed Mar 21 07:29:25 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 21. of March 2007 07:21:21 Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> I propose to clear the IE menus as we are integrating the plugins. This is
> my proposal (I beg your pardon if it has been suggested elsewhere before):

I wanted to do some simple changes (huge Colors menu to main menu...) before
0.9.1, but I thought it was better to wait for next release.
I like you proposal as menu items more follow the flow of editing and you have
put most used items (at least for beginners) more to the top of the menu.

> Fix
>  - Red Eye Reduction
>  - Sharpen
>  - Blur
>  - Noise Reduction
>  - Restoration
>  - Inpainting
>  - Hot Pixels
>  - Anti-Vignetting
>  - Lens Distortion

We might move Sharpen/Blur to the top, as it may be more used than Red Eye
Reduction, which would be then together with Noise Reduction. Having
separator after Sharpen/Blur would also be nice.
Maybe also separate Hot Pixels, Anti-Vignetting and Lens Distortion with
separator as they have more to do with fixing camera problems.

> Transform
>  - Flip ->
>  - Rotate ->
>  - Free Rotation
>  - Change Size
>  - Aspect Ration Crop
>  - Shear
>  - Perspective

I would put Rotate first (more used), but then it would not be together with
Free Rotation. But anyway, Free Rotation might better fit with Shear and
Perspective tool.
I am not sure if "Change Size" is better than "Resize". Therefore my
suggestion would be:
  - Resize
  - Aspect Ration Crop

  - Flip ->
  - Rotate ->
  - Free Rotation
  - Perspective
  - Shear

> Decoration
>  - Apply texture
>  - Add Border
>  - Insert Text
>  - Template Superimpose

Much better than Image - very good suggestion.

> Effects (or Filters)
>  - Infrared Film
>  - Filmgrain
>  - Oilpaint
>  - Charcoal Drawing
>  - Emboss
>  - Distortion effect
>  - Blur Effects
>  - Raindrops
>
> Settings (as is)
>
> Help (as is)

I think when we are done with this, we have to put attention to Albums GUI
menu, as that one in my opinion needs even more work (and it is harder to do
it right imho).

I think it would be good to get feedback from Celeste from KDE Usability, as
she will be doing some usability testing with digikam:
http://weblog.obso1337.org/2007/user-based-testing-expected-for-digikam-and-ubiquity/

Regards,
Luka