[Digikam-devel] Storage of digiKam Tags path (again)...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:44:24 GMT 2007

After investaguations, i can said than Exif is not the good place to do it.

IPTC/IIM sound fine to store this data, especially because storing Exif to
TIFF/DNG file is the hell with libtiff (Andreas, i'm waiting to have Exiv2
TIFF writting (:=))))... but libtiff can store IPTC very well.

Other stuff is to convert pictures using ImageMagick. Like ImageMagick use
libtiff internally, we can only use IPTC to not lost these data...

I will store a zlib compressed byte array of XML data (not real XMP, just an
simple XML schema to store digiKam properties).

I have take a look witch IPTC/IIM tags are free for use, reading ExifTool
database and others web page.

The "Iptc.Application2.0x00ff" sound good. Like IPTC will not be used
anymore with new photo management application, the chance to have this tag
used by another software is very limited.

This is an example of the content of the uncompressed tag :

<!DOCTYPE XMLImageProperties>
<imageproperties version="1" client="digikam" encoding="UTF-8" />
<properties comments="Ceci est un test en utilisant des caractères
accentués..." rating="4" date="2006-11-23T13:36:26" >
 <tagslist>
  <tag path="Communications" />
  <tag path="aaa/bbb/ccc" />
  <tag path="bbb/ccc/ddd" />
  <tag path="bbb/ccc/ddd/Paris" />
  <tag path="bbb/ccc/ddd/Paris/bjwdfkjhjbdqjfihbdqfdwbf" />
  <tag path="City" />
  <tag path="City/London" />
  <tag path="City/New York" />
  <tag path="City/Paris" />
 </tagslist>
</properties>

For this example the compressed data use only 374 bytes in the tag. It's
small (better than XMP can use for the same content)

What do you think about ?

Gilles