[Digikam-devel] problems with digikam3.db into a nefs partition

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:34:56 GMT 2007

Hi,

Gilles Caulier wrote:

> In all case i think than using a NFS mount point like a root album
> library path is wrong, because there is a risk to have 2 instance of
> digiKAm running on 2 different computers witch open the database in R/W.
> In this case, the concurrent writting on DB will corrupt the data.

Well, this shouldn't happen as the nfs server should lock the file. At
least, it works for me (I must be lucky :) )...
But, I agree with you that this can lead to some errors and corruptions.

> The database file must be stored in all case in local.

Yes, but sometime, it's not possible (eg: homedir automounted from a NFS
server and no dedicated pc).

> The way to have a
> link on NFS mount path like a subfolder of the root album library path
> is an easy solution. each computer have a dedicaced database file in
> local. No problem with NFS, no concurrent acess to DB.

Easy but ugly solution : if you do that, you will see only one album
with many subalbums.
I still think my proposal (adding -f cmdline option to specify the path
to digikam db) would be the right solution, not only to address this
problem but also about other possibilities it offers (read-only media,
etc...).
I would like to be able to propose a patch, but unfortunately I can't :(
It's a pity, because it doesn't sound very difficult to do (well, I
would know how to do that in some languages :) ).

--
Fabien