[Digikam-devel] digikam 0.9.2 freshmeat and linuxfr

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Wed Jun 27 16:41:41 BST 2007

Am Wednesday 27 June 2007 um 16:12:39 schrieb Gilles Caulier:
> 2007/6/27, Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net>:
> > Am Wednesday 27 June 2007 um 10:54:40 schrieb Fabien:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Yesterday evening, I posted an a news in linuxfr and freshmeat about
> > > the new version.
> >
> > What about dot.kde.org?
>
> AAAAAAhhhhhhh!!!!! the famous dot.kde.org !!!
ups, ruhig Brauner :-)

> well, since a long time i can said than dot.kde.org do not promote digiKam
> like it can do with KDE4 features, amarock, K3b, Koffice, etc... Of course,
> dot.kde.org is really a good place to read new technologies and programs
> othed by KDE
>
> The advantage of dot.kde.org for developpers is than all informations are
> already present to start thread on commits review. The didgest writer just
> take a look where there is an high activity in svn...
>
> And about digikam, the activity is not NULL !

Ok, but Commit-Digest is not dot.

> I have never see a message about the new Light Table for ex. I'm not a very
> good English writter, but i'm trying to give the essential informations
> when i commit on svn, especially with url to screenshots hosted by
> digikam3rdparty.free.fr space.

...or in your yery nice blog on digikam.org that is also linkt via planetkde
on the dot

> I suspect than dot.kde.org coordinator _ignore_ digiKam as well... Perhaps
> they don't use or don't care. For me it's a shame.

I don't think so.

> If you is not really convinced, just take a look in commit stats archive :
>
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-06-24/statistics/
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-06-17/statistics/
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-06-10/statistics/
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-06-03/statistics/
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-05-27/statistics/
>
> ... I'm always on the top list of commiters. This will be enough to ping
> diggest writter about digiKam activity. No ?

Allan from Commit-Digest normally only pings on global KDE and now with many
new KDE4 stuff you don't see deeper focus on single apps.

That you see more new about Amarok is only based on their better promotion
capacity compared to digiKam. So, dot is more for link to stories or release
messages but dot itself does not promote.

> ... or perhaps i'm wrong and everybody don't care about digiKam project...
>
> Another point : I have tried to write an announce at 0.9.0 and 0.9.1 beta
> release in the pass. I have recieve a negative response. The reason : you
> can only post final release announce on dot.kde.org...

Ok, I can understand this, when every program want to write a dot news. For
this we have kde-apps.org. But if a digikam (promotion) team member writes a
news "digiKam needs your help - eliminate latest bugs for a solid release"
and some nice written words the dot will publish that.

Or news that could be published on digikam.org first could be relinked on the
dot like (this should be English ;-) :

"digikam wins c't Linux photo suite comparing (far ahead) - One of German most
important computer magazine c't [http://www.heise.de/ct/] has in issue
14/2007 a longer comparison of Linux photo management suites with a focus on
organizing photos and all-day features.
Compared to KPhotoalbum, f-spot, picasa and GThumb, digikam was the only
program that gets a (++) for searching and image editing function. Further it
gets (+)  ratings for importing, photo management and presentation.
Its interesting to note that that digikam could win this review with its
basics as the professional features of digikam 0.9.2 like 16bit/color,
advanced raw handling, color management, geo-data handling or the new light
table comparison tool  were ignored.
This review is stimulation for the whole team that is in the process of
porting the program to KDE4."

You could also ask c't if you can publish the test as scan or pdf on digikams
website?

> this is completly STUPID. We need help (test, bug reports, patch, etc) to
> finalize digiKam before the final release, not after...
>
> To resume : do not ask me to write something for dot.kde.org... If somebody
> want do it, well fell free, but personally, i have no time to lost...

Its ok, coders are often not the best promoter ;-)
But Fabien seems to like this stuff :-)

> Gilles (who back to port digiKam under KDE4 (:=))))

Have Fun :-)

  Thorsten