[Digikam-devel] Odp: XMP metadata and GPS support

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:16:15 BST 2007

2007/6/19, MikoĊ‚aj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>:

> Metadata support is done through Exiv2 library. XMP support should be done
> there and it will be available in Digikam.

There is a file in Exiv2 bugzilla about this XMP support :

http://dev.robotbattle.com/bugs/view.php?id=463

To add XMP support to digiKam, Exiv2 must be improved.

I recommend you to :

1/ Contact Andreas Huggel who is Exiv2 author to review the plan of XMP
support.
2/ Look links given in the Exiv2 bugzzila file like source of inspiration.
3/ Start to work to Exiv2 with me and Andreas about XMP (yes, i'm Exiv2
developper too (:=)))

Exiv2 is the low level library to acess on metatada. digiKam and
kipi-plugins do not use Exiv2 directly but an high level and common
interface to simplify metadata management : libkexiv2. Source code is in
kdeextragear/libs. I'm the author of this ibrary with Marcel. Andreas has
give tips and help to make it. So to support XMP in digiKam and
kipi-plugins, this lib need to be patched of course.

digiKam need a new tab in Metadata sidebar about XMP. It a new widget to do
in digiKam core. For this one, i can do it, it will be easy.

digiKam metadatahub class need to be patched too to support XMP about
metadata management. Like this class have be written by Marcel, He will
certainly make a patch for that (:=)))

and finally, the kipi-plugin MetadataEdit need to be improved to support
XMP.

To be sync everywhere i recommend to be registered to Exiv2 and
digiKam-devel and kde-imaging mailling list

I think than the most important job to do is in Exiv2. Like Exiv2 is a low
level interface, in libkexiv2, we need certainly add support of XMP::XML
schema used by others photo management program like from Adobe and M$. But
for this point, we will talking about with Andreas.

Andreas is in this room if i remember. He CC him to be sure...

XMP support for Exiv2 and digiKam is very important for the future. This is
an high priority task (:=)))

Thanks in advance for your help