[Digikam-devel] About version numbering schema

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:00:23 BST 2007

2007/6/15, Fabien <fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I sent an email about that a few days ago, see here :
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2007-June/012932.html
>
> <<
> Don't you think it's time to use a new version numbering schema ?
> I think digiKam has reached its stability point.
> For most people, when you see a 0.9.x version, it means the software is
> quite close to a stable 1.0 version.
> Using version 0.10 let digiKam looks as an immature software that lacks
> reliability and features. And I definitively think it's not the case !

this is not my viewpoint, but i'm developper. For me these features are
important for photograph :

XMP is not yet supported.
No batch Queue manager.
No search based on advanced metadata.
No DB/pictures backup/restore tool.
No versionning of pictures.

Creating a 1.0 version would put digiKam under spotlight and that would
> be great...

sure...

I also think it's important to clearly separate kde3 versions and kde4
> version.

agree for this point.

This is why I make the following proposal :

> - create a 1.0.0 for the next digiKam version (instead of 0.9.2)

For  0.9.2 it's too late because all is ready to perform release and we have
already don beta1, beta2 and beta3. We cannot break this serie.

0.9.3 would be 1.0.1

The discussion is open. Why not 1.0.0, but i'm not alone to decide...

- use 2.0 for kde4 port

why not.