[Digikam-devel] digiKam inclusion on KDE 4.1 ?

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Jun 13 16:27:38 BST 2007

On Wednesday, 13. June 2007, Antonio E. wrote:
> Be part of the kdegraphics is great, but I would prefer to have digikam out
> of the KDE release cycle; to just stay for in the line that it is, like
> amarok. The KDE release cycle is perhaps so strict for an application like
> digikam, where new features are being added in each new release instead of
> only bug fixes. The digikam development I think is being managed a very good
> way, making its progress very dynamically. I think that being in the
> kdegraphics will stop that somehow.  It's just my opinion.

I agree with Antonio.  I prefer digikam having it's own release cycle.

AFAUI kdelibs kdebase and koffice as well as kdepim,
kdedu and kdegames have teams that work on common frameworks
and work on all apps to use the framework.  So in this case it
makes sense to bundle and release together.

If digikam would strongly depend and share libraries from kdepim
and vice versa (e.g. as kontact plugin. Eh, strange thought)
I would vote for inclusion.  But this is not the case.

What I would really like to see to happen: some developers that like to work gfx
frameworks. Then one could think about bundling some favorite gfx apps
digikam, gwenview, krita, kipi-plugins... extracting the best of them into a
libraries (e.g. raw file handling, meta data, slideshows ...) and making it
available everywhere for KDE apps (like via kparts kfile_plugins qimage kipi-NG ;)
etc etc)...

Just my 2 euro cent
Achim

Achim