[Digikam-devel] port of digiKam core to new libkexiv2...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Mon Jan 29 14:39:14 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have ported digiKam core to new libkexiv2. There is a patch to test at this
url :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/digikam_libkexiv2_port.patch

The patch must be applied against svn implementation. It include :

- the automake & co libkexiv2 detection and compilation envirroment set.
- the port of DMetadata class to use new common libkexiv2 methods. If you look
indeep the patch, you can see than DMetadata is very simplied now, duing an
huge list of common implementation shared...

Note : All recent fix from Marcel about Comments encoding have been backported
in libkexiv2. I have checked _all_ methods one by one to see if nothing have
been forget during this port (one day of work ==> tired ==> let's go to bed
(:=)))...

The patch do not include to obsolete files to remove on svn. i will do it
later, when the patch will validate. The obsolete files are ignored during
compilation. There are :

libs/dmetadata/dmetadataprivate.h
libs/dmetadata/loaders (all folders contents in fact)

I have tested on my computer to regenerate the digiKam database with my huge
pictures collection. All work fine : comments, tags rating, and date are
created properly on DB.

I have tested to fix some metadata on pictures and all sound good too.

If you want to test the patch :

- you need to checkout, compile, and install extragear/libs before (where is
libkexiv2 source code)

- I recommend to test digiKam use a new pictures repository with none DB. This
one will be recreated. It's important to check if no crash appear.

There is no improvements about metadata management in this patch. The digiKam
patched to use libkexiv2 must work like the older one unpatched. That all...

Let's me hear your report and if all is fine to commit on svn for next 0.9.1
release...

Thanks in advance