[Digikam-devel] Digikam menu usability improvements

Luka Renko lure at kubuntu.org
Wed Jan 24 21:33:23 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 24. of January 2007 20:47:45 Caulier Gilles wrote:
> There is also another point about menu in editor to improve : the
> View/Histogram option...
>
> This one have been added with digikam 0.7.x series by a contributor. With
> 0.7 and 0.8 series, there is no sidebar available. This is why the patch
> have been accepted.

Since I started to use Digikam with 0.9, I newer even tried View->Histogram
(sidebar is just more natural location).

> Since 0.9.0, the histogram is available in Color sidebar tab. I think than
> View/Histogram option are now redondant. Also, the View/Histogram options
> are uncomplete : you cannot change the scale for example...

True. Implementation is limited and it is clear duplication.

> Personnally, i would to remove this option from Image Editor and Showfoto.
> By this way, the B.K.O file # 110514 can be closed (obsolete)

I would also remove this. The only reason where View->Histogram might be
better is when user would like to use sidebar space for photo (for landscape
photos) - in such case on-photo histogram might be useful (but it will still
cover some portion of the photo). I use wide screen displays, therefore I may
not see this as too big issue - somebody with smaller display may have
stronger opinion about this.

> Of course, this must be done only if users are agree with this changes. It
> always easy to remove code than to add (:=)))

This is not very strong point for not removing it - we have SVN and can bring
this code back anytime if this would be an issue for many users.

> The source code to fix is :
>
> digikam/utilities/imageeditor/canvas/canvas.cpp
> digikam/utilities/imageeditor/canvas/dimginterface.cpp
> digikam/utilities/imageeditor/editor/editorwindow.cpp
>
> I'm not sure if we can do it before 0.9.1.

I am sure this can be done in couple of hours and I will try to make a patch
for this, then we can decide if I should commit or not.

> Please give me your viewpoints. Thanks in advance

Any other viewpoint?

Regards,
Luka