[Digikam-devel] Digikam menu usability improvements

Luka Renko lure at kubuntu.org
Wed Jan 24 17:31:38 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 24. of January 2007 09:05:15 Frank Siegert wrote:
> Hi Luka,
>
> Luka Renko wrote:
> > Similar one would also be moving Slideshow to View menu - see [3]. I
> > would really like to here if there are any objections to change this.
>
> That is an issue, which I also wanted to quickly solve during the weekend,
> but it is a bit more difficult, then it sounds. All kipi plugins come with
> a "KIPI::Category", by which the host application decides, where to place
> them in the menu. Unfortunately there is nothing like a "view" category. So
> one would have to extend that category list (which probably also needs
> discussion in kde-imaging), and then enable digikam to use that category.
>
> But I agree, that it should be done.

True that - just went through that code yesterday for the first time.
We have another problem with Slideshow: Digikam uses KIPI, while ShowFoto and
Digikam Editor uses own implementation of SlideShow function. This just adds
to confusion. Not to mention that there is not much sense to have Slideshow
in Editor (which operates on individual photos and not folders/group of
photos) - I doubt that many people expect Slideshow in editor.

We probably need to dive into this after 0.9.1 release and decide if it makes
sense to make larger changes for 0.9.x releases or should we postpone them
for next major release.

Regards,
Luka