[Digikam-devel] "Apply" button in right side bar

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Jan 22 09:44:56 GMT 2007

Am Montag, 22. Januar 2007 09:40 schrieb Gerhard Kulzer:

> I just read an article about useability; it seems that 5 user opinions are
> enough to get sufficiently precise feedback.
>
> Ok I try to be a normal user:
> The 'apply' button is disturbing if you haven't followed the historical
> development. I think the best solution is to apply changes straight away as
> Marcel suggest. Maybe after each keystroke is a bit busy but update every
> second should be fine.

Ok, perhaps I am number 5 :-)
I think an apply button makes sense especially because useability. Not having
an apply button I always asked myself when are the changes really applied.
What if I add another tag to an photo and then immedeately close digikam.
Will the changes be applied? I was unsure.

Not having an apply button simlpy leaves the user in the dark not knowing what
will happen when.  Thats why I would vote for an apply button like solution
b) in the last posting suggested. Next I would offer the user an option so he
can switch over to auto apply telling the user when exactly changes are
applied. In this case the user knows what happens since he himself made the
decision.

Perhaps one could add a checkbox near the apply button to
enable/disable  "autoapply" graying out the apply button when checked.
Tooltips could inform the user what exactly this means.  The checkbox could
of course also be put into the option setup dialog instead of the tag dialog.

Have a nice day
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke at uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html