[Digikam-devel] Encoding for IPTC comments

Leonid Zeitlin lz at europe.com
Thu Feb 8 13:07:22 GMT 2007

On 2/8/07, Caulier Gilles <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net> wrote:

> You want mean than Picasa/IrfanView/Photoshop support IPTC charset like CP1251
> but not UTF-8 ?
>
> But you have said before than CP1251 is not even registered in
> the "International Registry for Coded Character Sets" (:=)))... this is a non
> sence if commercial photo apps do not following at least the standard
> specification define into norms...
>
> Witch version of photoshop you use ?
>
> Gilles

Gilles, I am trying to say that these Windows applications do not
attempt to recode the IPTC values in any way. They take them as is,
i.e. as being in whatever charset Windows is using. For Russian
language Windows is using code page 1251 charset. And yes, Microsoft
doesn't care to register it's code pages with ISO. I guess it applies
to all Windows code pages, not only the Russian (Cyrillic) one.

Photoshop version 7.

Thanks,
  Leonid