[Digikam-devel] Encoding for IPTC comments

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Feb 8 12:59:05 GMT 2007

Le jeudi 8 février 2007 13:26, vous avez écrit :
> On 2/8/07, Caulier Gilles <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net> wrote:
> > Use UTF-8 instead.
>
> [...]
>
> > I propose to give one option in digiKam setup and MetadataEdit
> > kipi-plugin to set the charset encoding to ASCII or UTF-8.
> >
> > Gilles
>
> Hi Gilles,
> Using UTF-8 would allow Digikam to save IPTC comments in international
> languages, but it won't achieve interperability with
> Picasa/IrfanView/Photoshop etc., and that was my primary goal. Those
> Windows programs, as I can see from my testing, write and display IPTC
> comments as is, without any encoding/decoding. Therefore for
> interoperatilbity with them, comments should be in whatever encoding
> Windows is using, and that is not UTF-8 (for Russian language it's
> going to be CP1251).

You want mean than Picasa/IrfanView/Photoshop support IPTC charset like CP1251
but not UTF-8 ?

But you have said before than CP1251 is not even registered in
the "International Registry for Coded Character Sets" (:=)))... this is a non
sence if commercial photo apps do not following at least the standard
specification define into norms...

Witch version of photoshop you use ?