[Digikam-devel] What do we want to store in the database?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Aug 31 18:43:34 BST 2007

> > > Big question is handling of metadata. I'd like to see whole IPTC Core
> > > put into database... For fast querying of those items and making it
> > > independent of actual images.
> >
> > How many fields does that make?
>
> http://www.iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/specification/Iptc4xmpCore_1.0-spe
>c-XMPSchema_8.pdf 33:
>
> IPTC Subject-NewsCodes
> IPTC Scene-NewsCodes
> Country Code
> Creator's Contact Info
> Contact Info-City
> Contact Info-Country
> Contact Info-Address
> Contact Info-Postal Code
> Contact Info-State/Province
> Contact Info-Email
> Contact Info-Phone
> Contact Info-Web URL
> Intellectual Genre
> Location
> IPTC Scene
> IPTC Subject Code
> Creator
> Caption/Description
> Copyright Notice
> Keywords
> Title
> City
> Country
> Creator's Jobtitle
> Date Created
> Caption/Description writer
> Headline
> Instructions
> Job Identifier
> Provider
> Source
> Province/State
> Rights Usage Terms
>
> Note: several of them are of type - Lang Alt which means there can be
> several fields: Copyright Notice, Description, Rights Usage Terms, Title

So it is clear that there won't be a table with 33 columns but rather a table
with key/value pairs. Like the ImageProperties table that already exists. Or
do we need extra language information?
Of course, the work for supporting IPTC core would have to be done on the UI
side. Like with so many features wished in this thread...
We could need some Google Summer of Code students next year ;-)