[Digikam-devel] database locale

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 19:53:52 BST 2007

> Is the Locale will be used to encode files path on file system. Right ? If
> you change it the non ascii char will be changed.
>
> We have recieve a lots of message on ML about this problem when all Linux
> dist have toggle an UTF-8 locale...
>
> I remenber when i have installed Mandriva 2006 witch use a locale UTF-8
> instead ISO 8859-15 than all my dir in /home/gilles have been changed,
> especially the non ascii char.
>
> Like all Linux dist use UTF-8 now it will not a problem.
>
> Question : the sqlite source code do not use Locale settings ?

SQLite is using nothing but Unicode, the API accepts UTF-8 or UTF-16.
QStrings are Unicode as well of course.
So the contents in the database is unaffected by the locale.

I think now that the warning is meant to prevent the problem when the system
is ported to UTF-8: The filenames need to be renamed (convmv). If this is not
done, the files are still stored on the disk as the old charset, and
non-ASCII files will not be found again by digikam.

So this is nothing related to the database code.

Marcel