[Digikam-devel] database locale

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:19:34 BST 2007

2007/4/18, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about some historic piece of code in the AlbumManager:
> Does anyone know for what purpose the Locale is stored in the database?

Good question. I don't have any idea exactly. When DB stuff have been
implemented by Renchi between 2005-2006, i have works on
DigikamImagePlugins.

In the db, strings are stored in UTF-8 anyway, and the locale setting is
> never
> used. The setting is used only for generating a warning when the locale
> has
> changed.

Strange. i'm so supprising about this from Renchi.

This warning is useful when a user has changed his system charset (to UTF-8)
> and did not rename the filenames accordingly. But the error message speaks
> about "This can cause unexpected problems".
> Not very helpful for the user. Is anyone aware of problems other than the
> file-renaming requirement?

Is the Locale will be used to encode files path on file system. Right ? If
you change it the non ascii char will be changed.

We have recieve a lots of message on ML about this problem when all Linux
dist have toggle an UTF-8 locale...

I remenber when i have installed Mandriva 2006 witch use a locale UTF-8
instead ISO 8859-15 than all my dir in /home/gilles have been changed,
especially the non ascii char.

Like all Linux dist use UTF-8 now it will not a problem.

Question : the sqlite source code do not use Locale settings ?