[Digikam-devel] HDphoto support using porting kit from M$...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:34:08 BST 2007

Hi all,

If you following the photograhy world news, you have certainly seen than M$
have created since one year a new file format named HDPhoto...

The picture file is based on TIFF. It support Exif/IPTC/XMP/ICC profiles.
This file format is supported by default into M$ Vista and the future Adobe
Photoshop CS3.

M$ provide a porting kit witch can be compiled under Linux !

And yes it compile fine here. I have just fixed one line in a C file (:=)))
and moved the Makefile at the right place. The kit provide the shared lib
raries to encode/decode/read metadata from HDPhoto files, and 2 command line
tools like backend of libraries...

Of course, this porting kit license is special (:=))). Achim i promise you
some long white night to read the M$ EULA. Without to have read the paper,
i'm sure it not compatible as well with open-source world (it's not GPL/BSD
like)... But i recommend to read the wikipedia page before to take too fast
conclusion :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Photo

More informations about HDPhoto can be found here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/wmphoto/

My personnal tarball fixed to compile under linux is here :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/hdphoto-porting-kit-linux.tar.gz

Uncompress the tarball, go to HDPhoto folder, and start "make all"... That
all...

What do you think about ?

Gilles

Note: Please this is not a troll. Stay constructive (:=)))...