[Digikam-devel] extragear/graphics/digikam/utilities/imageeditor/canvas

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:13:24 BST 2007

2007/4/4, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de>:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
>
> > Dnia ¶roda 04 kwiecieñ 2007, Gilles Caulier napisa³:
> > > SVN commit 649987 by cgilles:
> > >
> > > Note to users : i need your feedback to check if all work fine on your
> > > computer (to be sure if my patch do not give side effects (:=)))).
> > > Thanks in advance...
>
> Quick tests did not show any glitches.
>
> > WOW! Latest patches really improved IE! It feels much faster now
> > and no mismatches in tiles.
>
> Speedwise:
> going from one image to the next (8MP jpegs)
> the last 11% of the progress-bar are now really fast
> (I think that this was the part where the image was actually built
> on-screen).

yes

However, I think it would be nice if the time for "Loading ..."
> would be shorter (even on a Core 2 Duo with 2 GHz and 2 GB RAM
> it is about 1s to go from one image to the next).
> This is also true when going back-and-forth between two images
> (wasn't there some caching supposed to be active?)

yes. This part have been written by Marcel.

But maybe this is because I compiled from svn
> (eg., would an --enable-final during configure possibly speed up things?)

Yes. --enable-debug=full will post a lots of debug messages in the console
witch take a while.

Also --enable-final will optimize binary for speed and remove all debug info
witch reduce the memory fingerprint.

> I always blamed it on Qt smoothing not working on big zoom  but all
> > problems vanished now.
>
> And I thought it was *those* often mentioned jpeg artefacts which
> I saw and did not bother reporting this ;-)

(:=)))

Next implementation in canvas is to provide new selection tool like Bezier,
circle, spline, etc. The current code hardcode the rectangle selection. I
must create a new implementation witch externalize the selection tool
outside. All is in my mind but nothing is yet done. I need more time to do
it, certainly later 0.9.2 during this summer

Also actually the image editor plugin can only handle rectangle selection. I
need to fix it. in fact it's very simple : I continue to use rectangle (for
ex. with a circle selection a compute the rectangle witch include the circle
area). The plugin continue to work on the rectangle but when i draw the
result in preview or i compute the final image (for ex. with Red eyes tool),
i use a pixels mask to restitute the original pixels outside the circle
area.

gilles