[Digikam-devel] noisereduction-documentation and thoughts.

Peter Heckert lists at hphsite.de
Wed Mar 29 23:09:14 BST 2006

Hello to all,

first I want to introduce myself: I have devloped gimp's dcamnoise
plugin, which has found it's way into digikam.
I am very happy for this.

I am neither a professional programmer nor a hobby programmer, probably
you can see it from sourcecode ;-)
( I made embedded processor software some years ago, but today I am an
electronics (hardware) technician)

Nevertheless, when I had seen digikam and the dcamnoise implementation I
have decided to help so far I can and so far my skills and my time permits.

Today I made some developer documentation for dcamnoise it can be found
here:

<http://hphsite.de/dcamnoise/dcamnoise-overview.pdf>

(I made the document in linux-openoffice 2.0 and then I found that the
linux version of openoffice is broken and cannot export thin lines to
pdf and then I completed the job in windows, therefore the formatting is
a little bit bad, but I hope it is useful for understanding or hacking)

I have one wish for the current implementation: The slider "Threshold"
is in the second tab, where many novice users will not see it. Beneath
"Radius", "Threshold" is the most important parameter and so it should
be in first or second place. (Hope you can see this from the pdf document)

I am not a skilled programmer and have no Qt knowledge at all and
currently I cannot do this myself and I would beg Gilles Caulier or
someone else to do this.

I have decided to use digikam myself and to help in plugin-development
so far I can.
Currently I am studying the source code and I try to learn this stuff.

I intend to improve dcamnoise and make it fit for 16 Bit images and for
raw images with linear gamma. "Improve" means: streamlining and speed
up, possibly better edge detection, bug shooting. I do not intend to
introduce concept  alterations or new features.

However, I do not intend to overtake the project, I could not, because I
dont have the skills and the time to do so. I would want to make useful
contributions and testing and proposals so far I can.

greetings to you all,

Peter