[Digikam-devel] RAW mode decoding quality

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Wed Jun 14 12:32:59 BST 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 09:09, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006 23:26 schrieb F.J.Cruz:
> Hi,
>
> > I have not noticed the big differences between your pictures in my
> > images, but if this can be a problem for the users, well, maybe we can
> > return to the -q 0...3 option.
Maybe these differences are more pronounced with certain camera models? I use
EOS350D.

> yes!!! There is a huge quality difference between these modes but every has
> its own pros and cons. That why the option should be
> - in
> - in cleartext and not in number form and
> - it would be better, if you can apply the q-value somehow in the
> raw-converting process and not as a fixed default value.

I very much subscribe to this wish. In fact I change the raw settings
constantly regarding noise filtering and quality (in the end if dcraw were
fast enough I could leave it at the best settings all the time, I change only
to gain speed when I can). It would be good to have easy access to the
settings:
a) at least group IO files and Color Management as successive, adjacent items
(now I have to scroll down)
b) provide some quick interface to raw decoding (could be popup window with
raw settings or another sidebar tab with raw settings)

Gerhard