[Digikam-devel] RAW mode decoding quality

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Wed Jun 14 08:09:58 BST 2006

Am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006 23:26 schrieb F.J.Cruz:
Hi,
> I have not noticed the big differences between your pictures in my images,
> but if this can be a problem for the users, well, maybe we can return to
> the -q 0...3 option.

yes!!! There is a huge quality difference between these modes but every has
its own pros and cons. That why the option should be
- in
- in cleartext and not in number form and
- it would be better, if you can apply the q-value somehow in the
raw-converting process and not as a fixed default value.

You do not see difference when you take a thumpnail sized image, you have to
view it 1:1. Please see the details on
http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/digicam/dcraw/vng-ahd-comparison.htm
and look at the crops.
You will see AHD (q=3) has a completely different behavior in decoding fine
structures than vng.

Bye

  Thorsten