[Digikam-devel] digikam PNG workflow...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Tue Jan 24 12:23:39 GMT 2006

Le Mardi 24 Janvier 2006 00:03, Mikolaj Machowski a écrit :
> Dnia poniedziałek, 23 stycznia 2006 12:31, Gilles Caulier napisał:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Please take a look in my new blog entry and let's me hear you
> > viewpoints...
>
> Not sure if forced conversion of RAW files into PNG is good thing.

Are you read my all my comments in this thread ?

> I think main problem is dealing with JPEGs (lossy etc.).

No and no JPEG is a lossy quality file format for photograph. It dedicaced to
publish pictures on the web, not to backup a photograph !!!

> Maybe would be possible to convert files on the fly when loading image
> in IE/Showfoto

no, only on camera interface because Exif information are availalble by THM
jpeg file on camera only. When you have downloaded RAW file, THM are lost on
your computer

> ? Operate on PNG data (lossless), end write to JPEG.
>
> Even today, with relatively cheap HDD space transformation JPEG->PNG can
> take big, big space. I've made few tests on my photos. When converting
> images with ImageMagick and trying to get best quality (this is the
> point of the whole exercise)::

No and no.  look RAW file size and convert it to PNG with max compression.
Take a care to use 16 bits / color /pixel with dcraw (YES PNG support 16 bits
image, not JPEG)

>     mogrify -quality 100 -sampling-factor 1x1 -format png *.jpg
>
> Size of images was growing 9-10 times. My modest collection of 4000 pics
> currently 2,5G would be ca. 20G. Of course, this is acceptable for some
> people, but for other not.
>
> Temporary conversion would give users without much disk space advantages
> of lossless format.

The space disk isn't a problem here ! Who using an hdd 10Gb of capacity ?

In all case if you won't convert JPEG/RW to PNG on the fly, i can. It will be
an option !