[Digikam-devel] digikam PNG workflow...

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Mon Jan 23 23:03:10 GMT 2006

Dnia poniedziaƂek, 23 stycznia 2006 12:31, Gilles Caulier napisaƂ:
> Hi all,
>
> Please take a look in my new blog entry and let's me hear you
> viewpoints...

Not sure if forced conversion of RAW files into PNG is good thing.

I think main problem is dealing with JPEGs (lossy etc.).

Maybe would be possible to convert files on the fly when loading image
in IE/Showfoto? Operate on PNG data (lossless), end write to JPEG.

Even today, with relatively cheap HDD space transformation JPEG->PNG can
take big, big space. I've made few tests on my photos. When converting
images with ImageMagick and trying to get best quality (this is the
point of the whole exercise)::

    mogrify -quality 100 -sampling-factor 1x1 -format png *.jpg

Size of images was growing 9-10 times. My modest collection of 4000 pics
currently 2,5G would be ca. 20G. Of course, this is acceptable for some
people, but for other not.

Temporary conversion would give users without much disk space advantages
of lossless format.

m.