[Digikam-devel] wiki for digikam (+kipi-plugins)?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Dec 20 09:59:33 GMT 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Daniel Bauer wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 09:52, Arnd Baecker wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > would it be possible (and of interest)
> > to set up a wiki for digikam related issues?
> >
> > For example Gilles had a very nice and helpful reply to Daniel Bauers
> > questions on color management - it would be nice to conserve this
> > (and update if necessary) at an easily accessible place.
> >
> > Best, Arnd
> >
> > P.S.: Gilles and all the many people behind digikam+kipi:
> >       **many** thanks for this great software!!!
>
>            ^^^ I assent to this statement :-)
>
> While I agree that conserving good explanations is a good idea, I think...
>
> - if a Wiki, I guess access must be restricted to some who know what they are
> doing and what they say. If it will be like Wikipedia, where everybody can
> put in its opinion, it will be just as useless. I've read so much s**t in
> Wikipedia, that I can imagine such a Wiki would soon have a lot of crap in
> it.

Yes, this does happen with wikis ... ;-)
On the other hand a wiki lives from the contributions of many...

> - somebody would have to be the "manager", so that data is consistent and can
> be found with useful indexes/links. The manager would also have to avoid that
> the Wiki gets a place of discussion. To my eyes this is quite a lot of
> work...

Somehow it would be nice to keep the adminstrative workload
small, and possibly distributed on a couple of knowledgeable persons ;-)

> - As a suggestion: proposed entries for the wiki could be sent to the
> Digikam-users mailing list, discussed/corrected/ameliorated there, and
> then "the manager" places it on the Wiki (or not).

Something which worked quite nice with www.scipy.org is
to have users to edit their own space, to test out ideas etc.
and if things are considered to be matured (e.g. with discussion
on the mailing list) they can be moved to a more prominent place.

Though I am not 100% sure about the manager role, I absolutely
agree that a wiki does not replace discussions on the mailing list!

> - The Wiki could then replace the FAQ's (they'd be moved to the Wiki). But it
> could also be vice versa...

That might be an option, but let's first see if a wiki works out ...

Best,

Arnd