[Digikam-devel] After the move - My ToDo list for the next weeks

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 6 07:41:32 BST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:29 pm, Sebastian Röder wrote:
> Hello to Gilles and the rest of the digikam team!
>
> As I wrote earlier on the list I recently moved from Bielefeld (In the west
> of Germany) to Potsdam (near Berlin/Germany). The move went fine but now I
> have a serious restriction when it comes to internet connection (expensive
> and slow dial up connection only).
>
> Anyway, as there is a lot going on in the digikam development I want to do
> my best to contribute to the project even under this bad curcumstances.
> Luckily time is not a rare ressource for me atm.
>
> So here is my personal To Do list for digikam:
>
> * [Pre-Requirement]: Do a fresh Gentoo install on the notebook (keep
> existing install working in the meantime) [longer task:  ~1 week]
>
> * write an initial blog on digikam.org, maybe with a To Do list ;-) [short
> task]

ok.

> * do a digikam b.k.o. "clean-up" session on one day/week [~2hours/week]
> (This came in my mind yesterday when I saw Gilles doing such a clean up.
> This should realy be MY task as long as I can not contribute code. So
> Gilles should have more time for coding/

> family

Yes, this one is very important (:=))))...

> /whatever. Since I have to go
> to a library for fast internet access anyway, I decided to choose ony
> specific day of the week for this task. Looks like it will be fridays.)

ok

> * play with SVN once more (with help of the book "Version Control with
> Subversion"). Finaly do a test commit (changed string in cameraui) [one
> evening]

ok. Take a look in esvn program. I use it (in both with command line)

> * prepare for the releases of 0.9-beta1

during May. Depending of finalisation code progress.

> and the 0.8.x(?) bugfix release.

yes. Please contact Achim. I have talking about this point yesterday by IRC. I
think he have started this task.

> (Gilles your comments please! Is the bugfix release ready to package?

Some point need to be done, especially dcraw detection at startup and jpeg/raw
file type detection (normally fixed in svn)

About dcraw detection, Marcel working on into trunk. This must be backported
into stable. This is can be done during between beta1 and beta2

> What
> should it be named like? What is the time frame for the release/ befor 0.9
> release? What about tagging in SVN?

Look on PACKAGING file in svn.

> Note to self: For the final 0.9.x
> release I have to deal with branching as well) [0.9-beta1: May, 0.8.x:
> April?]

stable 0.8.2 must be done before 0.9.0. In all case 0.9.0 final will be
release later this summer, depending of bugfix progress.

> * optional: help the kipi people doing there release

right

> * optional: do some work on the digikam handbook about image file formats
> in digikam

yes, but we works on handbook later beta releases. Major bugfix must be done
before. This can be have an influence into hanbook content

> * coordinate and contribute to updated homepage contents with regard to the
> upcomming 0.9 release [needs coordination with Gilles, Joern, Tom?]

ok for me. I have take a look into mapivi web site. Look great for me
especially with screenshots descriptions and overview. Take a look and give
me your viewpoint :

http://mapivi.sourceforge.net/mapivi.shtml

> (My idea: give a good overview/introduction to the news in 0.9 and work out
> a rough public "roadmap" for the next releases to make clear in which
> direction digikam might develop in the future).

right.