[Digikam-devel] After the move - My ToDo list for the next weeks

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Apr 5 22:29:22 BST 2006

Hello to Gilles and the rest of the digikam team!

As I wrote earlier on the list I recently moved from Bielefeld (In the west of
Germany) to Potsdam (near Berlin/Germany). The move went fine but now I have
a serious restriction when it comes to internet connection (expensive and
slow dial up connection only).

Anyway, as there is a lot going on in the digikam development I want to do my
best to contribute to the project even under this bad curcumstances. Luckily
time is not a rare ressource for me atm.

So here is my personal To Do list for digikam:

* [Pre-Requirement]: Do a fresh Gentoo install on the notebook (keep existing
install working in the meantime) [longer task:  ~1 week]

* write an initial blog on digikam.org, maybe with a To Do list ;-) [short
task]

* do a digikam b.k.o. "clean-up" session on one day/week [~2hours/week]
(This came in my mind yesterday when I saw Gilles doing such a clean up. This
should realy be MY task as long as I can not contribute code. So Gilles
should have more time for coding/family/whatever. Since I have to go to a
library for fast internet access anyway, I decided to choose ony specific day
of the week for this task. Looks like it will be fridays.)

* play with SVN once more (with help of the book "Version Control with
Subversion"). Finaly do a test commit (changed string in cameraui) [one
evening]

* prepare for the releases of 0.9-beta1 and the 0.8.x(?) bugfix release.
(Gilles your comments please! Is the bugfix release ready to package? What
should it be named like? What is the time frame for the release/ befor 0.9
release? What about tagging in SVN? Note to self: For the final 0.9.x release
I have to deal with branching as well) [0.9-beta1: May, 0.8.x: April?]

* optional: help the kipi people doing there release

* optional: do some work on the digikam handbook about image file formats in
digikam

* coordinate and contribute to updated homepage contents with regard to the
upcomming 0.9 release [needs coordination with Gilles, Joern, Tom?]
(My idea: give a good overview/introduction to the news in 0.9 and work out a
rough public "roadmap" for the next releases to make clear in which direction
digikam might develop in the future).

*** in the background I am learning C++ (with a book I can recommend
everybody: C++ Primer 4th Edition). My goal is to get enough knowledge of C++
and QT to contribute code within 3 month. After that there is still the whole
KDE stuff to learn (Guidelines, APIs etc.)

OK all in all this is quite a lot of things to do for me ;-) I am glad that I
managed to write it down now, so it is easier to organize. And when I am to
lazy you can point your fingers on me ;-) Your commets are welcome.

Regards
Sebastian