[Digikam-devel] Include file firstrunUI.h missing, other beginner questions

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Apr 5 12:36:57 BST 2006

> Thank you very much.
> I did this and first had the same behavior.
> However after about 10 minutes the program was alive again and it
> stopped again at the breakpoint.
>
> So it was not crashed, but seemingly it was running incredibly slowly.
> Is it possible, that debugging slows down the proggie?
> Are there debugging hooks e.g. for memory allocation that can slow down
> the program in this way?

Running under gdb is a bit slower, but not like that. Starting takes
considerably longer because gdb reads information from shared libs, but
running as such is not so much affected (not to be compared to running under
valgrind).

> Can I avoid this?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Ok, this had been 5 hours for today I cannot do this forever, the
> program was sleeping, now I must go to sleep :-/

To rule out any kdevelop problems, start gdb from the command line.
gdb digikam
If you want to set a breakpoint in an image plugin, start the program
r(un)
and press Ctrl-C in gdb when is has started, then set your breakpoint
br(eak) 'DigikamWhateverNamespace::SomeClass::myMethod(...)'
Note the single quotes. There is tab autocompletion, usable at least for the
method parameters.
Then continue the program, and start your plugin
cont(inue)
I do not know if enable-debug=full sets -O0, if it is -O2 single stepping is
not so much reliable (sometimes strange line numbers and so on).
I usually do 90% of my debugging with debug statements because I consider
running gdb as a bit cumbersome (perhaps because of me not using Kdevelop).

Marcel