[Digikam-devel] Include file firstrunUI.h missing, other beginner questions

Peter Heckert lists at hphsite.de
Tue Apr 4 23:06:07 BST 2006

Hi Gilles,

Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le Mardi 04 Avril 2006 09:13 PM, Peter Heckert a écrit :
> I have tried to solve this problem accordinly with Mandriva team... but
> without success. This problem is very wierd...
>
> To solve it, just going into digikam/digikam folder, i start "make
> firstrunUI.moc". all temp source code generated by moc program will be done.
> You can compile all digikam after that. Later, nothing will be done on
> firstrunUI...
>
> moc compiler is used to build GUI from xml file genrated by QtDesigner
> program. I hate it. I prefert build GUI from scratch because it's very easy
> to make gui/layout/widget using Qt API.
>
> When i will more free time, i will rewrite this firstrunUI part from scratch
> (:=)))...

Thanks. This explains it.

I compiled from commandline, this succeeeded.
After doing so compiling in kdevelop was successful also.

Unfortunately these experiments needed 3 hours ;-)

The userinterface in digikam is incredibly good, so I could concentrate
on the number crunching code for the plugin, that is what I want to do.

>> Another question:
>>
>> Need I special compiler settings, when I want to debug?
>> I use the project configuration "default" in kdevelop and this
>> has the configure argument "--enable-debug=full". Is this enough to do
>> source code level debugging (singlestep and so on)?
>
> yes, it's enough. I'm working like this everytime.

Unfortunately this doesnt work for me.

I set a breakpoint in the plugin code.
Then I start the program (F9).

The program stops at breakpoint.
Then I see a green triangle at the breakpoint location.

and when I press F11 (singlestep) the program steps on.
(I am doing this while writing)
Ok... I stepped until the next breakpoint.

Now this beakpoint is grayed out and the digikam app is dead (no response)

The debug menu gives me the options to suspend the app or to halt it.
But so far I can see, it doesnt run.
Suspending does nothing, no change. Halt will abort digikam, it dies.

I can see the local variables for my procedure, but so far I can see,
the execution point is elsewhere and the programm is not running, maybe
it hangs on another breakpoint, but how can I find it?

I got all my software from debian's testing and unstable repositories.

Possibly my kdevelop is buggy, possibly I should try to write a hello
world program first and try to debug it.. Unfortunately
kdevelop-GUI-debugging is not so very well documented, I must try how it
works.

> Don't forget that to debug a source code, gdb is not enough. You need to use
> valgrind program to check memory allocation/using/leak. default settings is
> available in HACKING file from svn. Read the valgrind doc before. This tool
> is really incredible (:=))).

Yes I know. But in advance I must write some code to produce some memory
leaks. It's an easy task for me, I am rather good with this *g*

thanks so far,

peter