[Digikam-devel] digikam just crashed

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Tue Sep 27 21:10:33 BST 2005

Le Mardi 27 Septembre 2005 21:40, Oliver Dörr a écrit :
> Hi Renchi,
>
> it's really strange. I could recreate that crash. All i have to do, is
> trying to the connect to a camera which is not connected and try to
> select all images before digikam recognises that there is no camera.
> digiKam crashes. However the backtrace is really strane. For a few
> moments i could see the first 6 lines, but they seem to be overwritten
> and all i got is the backtrace starting with line 7.
>
> So do you think that it makes any sense to search for the crash reason?

Yes. You can try to use 'valgrind'. This tool is a memory checker. Sometimes
It can give more informations than gdb.

Install valgrind on your system and start digikam form a console like this :

# cd .../graphics/digikam/digikam (where you have your digikam source code...)
# valgrind --tool=memcheck ./digikam

==23863== Memcheck, a memory error detector for x86-linux.
==23863== Copyright (C) 2002-2004, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==23863== Using valgrind-2.2.0, a program supervision framework for x86-linux.
==23863== Copyright (C) 2000-2004, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==23863== For more details, rerun with: -v
==23863==
==23863== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==23863==    at 0x1B8F499F: strchr (strchr.S:177)

and use digiKam until you will reproduce the crash.

Notes :

- sometimes when you run digiKam under valgrind, the crash can be
unreproductible.
- because valgrind check all memory requests, digiKam is running slowly.

Finally, post here all messages from the console.