[Digikam-devel] libopenraw to support better RAW files in digiKam ?

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Thu Nov 24 07:56:16 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch 23 November 2005 22:01 schrieb Caulier Gilles:
> Le Mercredi 23 Novembre 2005 12:25, vous avez écrit :

> > > Yes, i now him (:=))). He's a French guy (:=)))

> > > Yes, i have the same problem in digikam core, because i
> > > have started to create a similar lib using dcraw program.

> > > well, i can use any code parts of libopenraw to improve my
> > > current implementation for example.
> >
> > I dont think there is something in CVS that could improve
> > anything ;-)
> >
> > > I'm so suprise that
> > > libopenraw isn't updated since 4 months on repository.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you is interresed to help in this task ?
> >
> > I really like to help but how do you think we should start?
> > Collaboration a la libobenraw or realizing first something
> > workable and then anouncing this and ask for collaboration.
> > Maybe the Krita-team is also interested?
>
> certainly, but i'm not favorable to create a shared lib
> actually. I have no time to manage a new project like this. I
> prefert limited developement to a local lib in digikam core
> dedicaced only to digikam
>
> > That way we do not need to
> > handle with cryptic glib C-code and can use pure Qt-C++ :-)
> >
> > You said you already have some libopenraw-like code?
>
> Just a code to check RAW file type and extract thumnails using
> parse.c from dcraw
>
> I want add dcraw.c source code and add a new method to get raw
> image data directly without using an external dcraw thread
> using pipe for improve loading time in IE.
>
> I want too, add a method to get thumnails orientation. dcraw
> have been added to kimdaba in this way but dcraw.c is completly
> broken on.

Hmm, I had that (type, thumbnail, rotation) already programmed but
you dont liked that :-)

> and finally, i want add a method get embedded meta data and ICC
> profil.

I do not know every raw format but what use embedded ICC profiles?
In Canon world it is like this: Every JPEG works in calibrated
sRGB color mode, but RAW is not adjusted to any mode. I only know
TIFF and JPEG that have embedded ICC profiles often from
Photoshop. You can extract these profiles with (of course)
ExifTool:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/ICC_Profile.html

I have looked into dcraw.c - and dont like it ;-) Brrr. All in one
and one for all. But using an extenal ICC profile with RAW data
is already in there.

Bye

 Thorsten