[Digikam-devel] libopenraw to support better RAW files in digiKam ?

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Wed Nov 23 21:01:39 GMT 2005

Le Mercredi 23 Novembre 2005 12:25, vous avez écrit :
> Am Mittwoch 23 November 2005 10:59 schrieb Gilles Caulier:
> > >
> > > Hi Gilles,

> > > Hubert Figuiere has a name in unix photo world
> > > http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html
> >
> > Yes, i now him (:=))). He's a French guy (:=)))
> >
> > > so this can be a good approach. OTOH this group has to be
> > > somehow better than Dave Coffin. A lib that supports file
> > > decoding, demosaicing and metatag decoding as an open project
> > > would be cool but in a sense creating and supporting such a
> > > lib is a little bit out of digiKams scope, or? digiKam wants
> > > to use such a lib.
> > >
> > > Browsing through
> > > http://cvs.freedesktop.org/libopenraw/libopenraw
> > > this seems to be a one person project and there is no usable
> > > code. The problem is, when Dave Coffin does not support such
> > > a lib you have to adjust/recreate the lib again and again
> > > with every release of a new dcraw.c.
> >
> > Yes, i have the same problem in digikam core, because i have
> > started to create a similar lib using dcraw program.
> >
> > > Maybe a better alternative can be a KDE wrapper for raw
> > > handling. That way we can collect all the stuff out there
> > > now, can use our own data types, can integrate I18n and if
> > > there is a better lib someday we only have to adjust the
> > > wrapper(?)
> >
> > well, i can use any code parts of libopenraw to improve my
> > current implementation for example.
>
> I dont think there is something in CVS that could improve
> anything ;-)
>
> > I'm so suprise that
> > libopenraw isn't updated since 4 months on repository.
> >
> > Perhaps you is interresed to help in this task ?
>
> I really like to help but how do you think we should start?
> Collaboration a la libobenraw or realizing first something
> workable and then anouncing this and ask for collaboration. Maybe
> the Krita-team is also interested?

certainly, but i'm not favorable to create a shared lib actually. I have no
time to manage a new project like this. I prefert limited developement to a
local lib in digikam core dedicaced only to digikam

> That way we do not need to
> handle with cryptic glib C-code and can use pure Qt-C++ :-)
>
> You said you already have some libopenraw-like code?

Just a code to check RAW file type and extract thumnails using parse.c from
dcraw

I want add dcraw.c source code and add a new method to get raw image data
directly without using an external dcraw thread using pipe for improve

I want too, add a method to get thumnails orientation. dcraw have been added
to kimdaba in this way but dcraw.c is completly broken on.

and finally, i want add a method get embedded meta data and ICC profil.